My Über Christmas Gift
Yes, I’m known as a geek, and I frequently get “geek gifts.” I wasn’t expecting this one at all.
It really is interesting. I just now got to play with it. The small device connects through bluetooth to another bluetooth device (my phone in this case) and projects a keyboard with a laser. It also makes a tick sound when you “press” a key. I really hate typing on the iPhone’s keyboard. The keys are just too small for my fingers. So I was very curious about this gift!
But, unfortunately, this laser projection of a keyboard is just not yet ready for the masses.
- One has to type very deliberately. Speed really confuses it. I spent more time going back and correcting mistakes than I did typing the test document.
- It looks insanely cool when projected on glass, but that completely distorts the location algorithms and turns accuracy into a nightmare
- Some of the frequently used punctuation keys have been relocated. Grrrr.
On the positive side:
- I must confess, it looks totally cool!
- It plugs in via USB to charge.
- It’s small and weighs very little.
While Tim likes, it’s pretty much a novelty at the moment.
- Virtual Keyboard (nuengstyle.wordpress.com)
- Virtual laser keyboards look cool, but might not be ready for prime time (video) (pcworld.com)
- Cube Laser Virtual Keyboard for iPad & iPhone (mrshams.wordpress.com)